Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Things are looking up

 Hi everyone, it's been a week since my last post and I didn't get a whole lot done. I had a few doctors appt. nothing  wrong, in order to keep my VA benefits I have to get an exam twice a year to keep my benefits. This morning, I had a nice breakfast, 2 eggs, sausage and english muffin.I haven't had English Muffins in a very long time. I forgot how good they taste.

 For dinner was a Chef's salad with cherry tomatoes, shredded cheese, olives, 1/2 boiled egg and chunks of chicken with a Korean BBQ sauce and an Avocado Dressing.
 Yesterday's breakfast. Scrambled eggs, sausage, sourdough toast and coffee.
 I decided to make life a little easier again so, Saturday I went to Lowes in Wasilla and bought a 25 ton log splitter. My reasoning is that I can split the wood faster giving me more time to myself. All the wood there, I split in 20 minutes. Would have taken me longer than that by hand.
 I know some people are thinking, is John going modern? I am a little bit. There is a good reason I am doing these things. I plan to buy a propane/electric refrigerator. My reason for the refrigerator is, to keep the refrigerator going so I can spend more time at the remote cabin working on it during the Winter. I plan to spend more time out there this Winter. I bought a drip oil stove so I can keep the town cabin warm and keep canned and jarred food from freezing.

 I've been collecting building materials to put a small addition on the remote cabin and add a shower and a couple of bunk beds for company. I want to get work done out there so I can spend most of my time out there or all of my time. I really miss living the remote lifestyle and need to get back to it.

 This Summer, I plan to spend more time fishing, camping and traveling the backroads. I should have enough experiences coming up to keep you entertained. I will close for now and get some sleep.

                                         Take care

8 comments:

bigfoot said...

Wow, great looking meals, and that log splitter is a great time (and back) saver. Glad you are doing good!

Carol R said...

Morning John-It's another cloudy day in Wisconsin, please send us some of your Alaskan sunshine. I love stacking split wood wish I could stop by and help.

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Bigfoot, I believe the same thing, it will give me more time for myself. Those meals taste good also.

Bushrat John said...

Hi Carol R, it's a cloudy day here also. I believe it's going to rain. I don't mind stacking. Anytime you're in the mood, I will save some for you to stack, lol.

Anonymous said...

Wow,John! When you make plans, you really make them! Can't go wrong with a log splitter. Good size and great purchase! My brother-in-law got one after splitting wood his whole life the old fashioned way. Nothing wrong with making life a bit easier, especially hitting the 70's. You'll still get plenty of exercise stacking the wood, while saving energy for working at the remote cabin.
So wonderful you're making plans that will bring you happiness & peace. Take care.

Susan

Bushrat John said...

Hi Susan, thanks for stopping by. I just got tired working all the time and finally realized, that I need more me time. Besides, at my age, I better get some fun time in, lol

Anonymous said...

Hey John
Nice splitter. I gave up and bought a smaller one several years ago.. Think mines only 5 ton.. but it does everything I need done.
I think a garden is a good idea. I get a little over board on mine, but the fresh produce is nice. I got 15 tomato plants in my green house now, 3 are blooming. I have to light my little propane heater every night which is expensive, but I like vine ripened tomatoes...
John, if you ever have a serious medical emergency don't hesitate to go to Regional ER... Let them know your a vet and They'll treat you right, and send all the records to your VA people who will call you the next day and set up any followup needed done... No, don't ask how I know all this... just know it's Honto!

Old John

Bushrat John said...

Hey John, I'm going to need this big one to split the rounds I got from you, lol. You do grow a nice garden. Thanks for the info John but, I have done it a few times already. It won't be long, Kashwitna lake will be open for some nice trout fishing. I am going to have a lot of me time this year.