My tent cabin on the Kvechak River

The Bush Life

The Bush Life
My old buddy "KAYAK"

Friday, August 10, 2012

My busy week

This has been a very busy week and very progressive for me. First of all, I woke up about 2 am Tuesday morning and there was a light shining through the window. I got up to investigate and it turned out to be the moon of all things. I was excited, this is the first time I have seen it since Summer started. There were also stars out. I enjoy the night time.

While outside, I took a picture of my polebarn, Looks kind of cool at night.

After all the excitement, I went back to sleep, I had a busy day ahead of me.  Woke up around 7:30am, had coffee and breakfast and went to work changing the cabin around again. Moved my TV and stuff again. Moved them back to the corner, it was too close to watch.

I am getting into the flower thing, it feels good to have some color and to smell them.

Afterwards, it was time to go outside and get down and dirty. Time to replace the center beam under the cabin. When I built the cabin, I put RR ties under there. So, I decided to replace them so, I could use them someplace else. As you can see, not much room to crawl under there and I had 4 of them to drag out, which wasn't so easy either. But, I did manage without any help.

I peeled a pole to put back under there. The pole was a whole lot easier to work with.

When that job was completed, I took the rest of the day off. Took a nap and watched some movies later on.
  Wednesday, my neighbor showed up with his truck and trailer and we took a ride to pick up some free plywood from a trucking company.

These were the stacks of plywood they were giving away.

Loaded up and ready to go. I also got a bonus, they gave me a bunch of lumber.

Here are some pictures I took on the way back.

Finally, back at the cabin, my neighbor left the trailer at my place and I unloaded everything by myself.

Here is the free lumber I got and there are more attached to the plywood.

and of course, the plywood. They arn't perfect but, with some trimming there is enough to cover my polebarn and another project. We may go back for more.

Now, we are into Thursday, that was the big workday. I started building the new deck on my cabin and all from free recycled lumber.


It took me about 10 hours by myself for this project and it was a miserable 10 hours. It was extremely hot, humid and buggy. I put bug dope on and the sweat washed it off. The mosquitoes were out in force. But, it was well worth it to have a decent place to sit outside.
  By the way, my tomatoe plants are coming along. The one plant is just now starting to get tomatoes and the other one is doing real well.

The new tomatoes

My other plant

"PHEW" I am plumb tuckered out doing this post. I hope all of you enjoy this post. I have quite a few more projects coming up. Take care.


Anonymous said...

Very Nice John, are you going to screen it in? What a haul on the free lumber. I should check those lists more often too. Tomatoes are looking great. John

John said...

Hi John, not sure at this point about screening it in. It is a thought though. Check out Sourdough Trucking in Anchorage, they have plenty.

CottonLady said...

Well, my goodness, John, you have been busy!! I like your flowers, oh, and the vases, too!
What a job that must have been to get that railroad tie out from under your cabin. Hope you didn't skin any knuckles getting that job done. :)
Good deal on free plywood and lumber...can't hardly beat that even if you do have to trim it. Good looking deck and the tomatoes.
I was on that train last September-
loved the trip!
Sounds like you need a day off!

Anonymous said...

Love the work on the deck. Nice. Will give you some where to put a chair out when it is nice and just enjoy being outdoors.

Love the flowers.

The down sizing here continues... slow and steady. Feeling good about the decrease in stuff.

Anonymous said...

Heck, if you go back, you might get enough to start and/or dry in, another cabin. :)

The porch looks great.


grammie g said...

HI John...I looked at this yesterday, got busy with some visitors and never got just came to me!!
You sure have been a busy boy haven't you ; }!!
Now I'd say you sure made a good haul there...porch looks great!!
I love the picture you took on the road to get the wood ..sure is beautiful up there, and those moon shots are real special!!
You be careful messing around with all that wood!!
PS love the Pepsi can vase..lovely flowers : }!!

becky3086 said...

I would go back after more lumber. You can always use more wood. The porch looks great. I'd probably screen it as I don't like mosquitoes.
The flowers are very nice too.

John said...

Thanks Cotton, there were actually 4 RR ties I pulled out. all without skinning a knuckle although, I did hit my head a few times. I bet the train ride was great.

John said...

Thanks Anonymous, I have already been sitting out there. It was nice.

John said...

Hi R, I probably will go get more, need to build a small shop and storage shed.

John said...

Hi grammie, good to hear from you. I try to be as careful as I can. The Pepsi can vase? I think everyone should do something like that, good to recycle.

John said...

Hey Becky, my plan is to screen it in. I will do that next year as right now, hardly any bugs at all. I will get more wood.

Evano said...

Starting to look like a real palace.

Evano said...

Starting to look like a real palace.

Anonymous said...

LOL That anon person was me, Wash. I must be sleeping.

I kinda figured you had been sitting out there on those really nice days.

LOL don't build a storage shed. You will see it and then need to fill it with road system things. If your wanting to pick up and leave then you will have to deal with the stuff you have in a shed.

The shop would be a good idea if your not wanting to use your living room floor to build on. Make it just big enough to accomplish your tasks and to hold the tools you need to do that work. Again the more space the more things you will get to fill it up. Just a thought. Im selling, giving away, throwing away, and burning the stuff I dont want any longer. Im trying to down size then when I have enough gone I will sell the storage sheds I have and when that is done and the house is mostly cleaned out... I will sell the house and down size into something way smaller so I dont have the desire to fill it up with "stuff". Just my thoughts.

I guess I should mention... Im really jealous of those maters. Man I have tried and tried to grow them here and cant get them to even set before they fall off the vine. Yep they are beautiful. Im sure they will taste wonderful too.


Anonymous said...

Hey John,
If your running short on mosquitoes up there, I got a few extra (million) that I'd be happy to loan you.!

Preparing to smoke some salmon tomorrow


John said...

Thanks Evano, as much as I try to finish, it seems something else pops up. You are never really finished.

John said...

Hi Wash, trust me, I will not start collecting any more junk. A workshop is what I need and that is my intention. The tomatoes are excellent, both plants are producing a lot now.

John said...

Hey John, no, you can keep what you have. Ilike the idea of sitting on the porch and not being attacked. I can smell that salmon being smoked already.

Anonymous said...

Did you get the top on your porch or did you get rained out this week? Grrr Im so tired of the rain. My critters are floating out there. Good thing some of them have web feet. LOL

It has really slowed up... or brought what I was doing outside to a screeching halt actually. I have been working inside instead.


John said...

Hi Wash, I pretty much got rained out. Today it has let up and the sun actually is out. Hopefully, I can get something done.

Anonymous said...

I need to rewire my trailer if I can this week then have the tires changed and the breaks checked.

Hope to have some trees delivered here this next week so I can start cutting my winters wood. I have the saw ready just need to get the gas can filled.

Other than that it is the same old same old. Just trying to beat the snow coming down.

Spent the afternoon in Anchorage picking up the rest of my sons home school books for this yr.

Cant wait to see what new pictures you have to show of what work you get done.


John said...

Hi Wash, always seems to be something to do. Pictures will follow soon.