Sunday, November 24, 2019

Major setback for the addition

Hi everyone, I'm having a setback on completing the cabin addition. Last Thursday, I had a doctors appt. at 2:30 pm. I didn't get back home until around 4:20 and it was getting dark. I had about 4" of snow on the shop which is fine so, I decided to clear the snow Friday morning. Turns out it decided to rain all night and Friday morning, I woke up to this.
You can imagine how I must have felt. But, I kept calm because, it is what it is and my main concern was to fix the situation. I called my friend Matt and he came over Saturday morning and we figured a way to fix it. We ended up clearing most of the things out of the shop and starting bending the poles back. At the split pieces, we bent them back and put large hose clamps around them. Then I decided to start studding it in.

This s the result of our getting it back to the way it was but, only better.
It took Matt and I  4 hrs. to get this done. No way I could have done this by myself. Matt is a very good friend. As soon as the other side is finished, Matt will finish my addition and I will work on putting walls up on the shop. I should have done this a long time ago. Here is the lumber to finish the job. We will put up 2"x 6" trusses. Once it is all studded in, I will take more photos of how we fixed things.
                                           

                                                 Take care

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey John
Sorry to see the setback... Don't know how many times something like that has happened to slow me down or set me back... But we always seem to muddle through and come out alright... Glad to see you guys got everything under control now.

Keep Warm
Old John

Bushrat John said...

Thanks John, I was just lucky it wasn't worse. We will finish fixing it tomorrow. Take care

Carol said...

Hi John sorry you had a setback but sometimes it teaches us how to improve things and in the end things are just better when done. We too have had setbacks like this and we call them learning curves...lol. Glad you didn't loose it totally. So great to have a good friend to help out. Work goes so much faster and easier with a good friend!
Take care
Carol

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Carol, yes, good friends are hard to beat. Actually, I was quite calm when I saw the shop. I don't get worked up much anymore. The old saying "POOP HAPPENS", LOL.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

C said...

John.....Happy Thanksgiving to you!

CottonLady said...

Sorry to hear about your shop, John. But looks like you two got it back in shipshape. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

Take care and be safe.

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Cotton

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Washkeeton said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving. Sorry to see this with your shop. But glad you had someone to call to help. This weather...wowzer...I have to honestly say I miss winter. Love the new addition, can’t wait to see it done. I have been orienting for a job that starts Tuesday so I have been busy. Take care.

Wash

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Wash, was wondering where you went to. Good to hear you're getting back to work. Don't work to hard clearing the snow at your new cabin.