Tuesday, August 30, 2016

CHANGES

Good morning, it's 8:50 a.m. and 30 degrees. It was chilly enough to start a small fire to take the chill off. Closing the windows before going to sleep would have helped, lol. After about 2 weeks of steady rain, the sun finally showed itself  and am now getting things done.

While sitting around in the cabin during the rainy days, I got to thinking about things and have decided to put all projects on hold. Even for me, there were way to many to complete and I wasn't taking time out for myself. That's going to change. I started rounding up all the junk laying around and haul off to the dump.
I want to spend the rest of the time for myself and doing things I enjoy. I want to go fishing and take a trip out to the Denali Highway and take photos and get away from crowds for a bit. My friend Randy is quite busy now, flying hunters and fishermen out to remote areas. When he returns, I will fly out to my remote cabin and get some things done and have some real quiet time.

I did finish a project that needed to be done and that is a walkway. I figured it would cut down on the dirt and fine gravel coming into the cabin so, I'm not always sweeping. Made from the free pallets I got.

I have been in a funk for quite awhile and I am slowly coming out of it. I am putting off doing the addition on the remote cabin until next year. I plan on just having fun joying life this Winter. That's the reason I retired. Anyway, I will start my blog on my early days of caretaking this weekend. Hope everyone stops by to check it out. Take care


23 comments:

northco said...

Very nice walkway...and free wood! We have laid down pallets in the wet places on our trails through the woods....they do rot out after awhile but while they are good, they let us get through the mucky places. Should work well to keep dirt and gravel out...and they look nice, too.

Washkeeton said...

Like the walkway.

Wash

Bushrat John said...

Hi Northco, that's a good idea. Pallets are a great idea. Come Winter, I am going to haul a bunch of them to my remote cabin.

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Wash. You moved in yet? 8-)

Art said...

That sounds like a good plan. I like the walkway.

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Art

Carol said...

Hi John,
I too John are ready for cooler air. I bet that small fire felt heavenly. I am glad you got the sun back. Rain is good but too much is a bummer. I am glad to see your going to take time for yourself and do some fishing, driving etc. I love fishing! I haven't done it in years, maybe someday I will get to it. I love your walkway. Pallets make a perfect walkway keeping you out of the muck especially after all that rain you had. I am looking forward to your post on caretaking.

Bushrat John said...

Hi Carol, it is good to see the rain go. Can hardly wait for Winter, my favorite season. The pallets are good for a lot of things. It was only a matter of time before I got tired of working all the time.

KC said...

Hi! John, it's a great idea to go on a little road trip to get away! There is always work to do around the home!
The pallet walk looks nice! Take care and enjoy your time! KC

Bushrat John said...

Thanks KC,thanks. it has been long time coming. I was getting tired of constantly sweeping the floor. I believe the walkway will help.

Evano said...

Looks really nice John.
I am so looking forward to sitting by a warm fire too.
Nothing better to warm your sole.

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Evano, you are so right. I think of Winter night, light falling snow, oil lamps glowing and a flickering fire. Yep, Nothing better to warm yojr soul.

CottonLady said...

Hi John!

Look forward to hearing about your early days experiences in caretaking! Your walkway looks great. Ah, Denali---I look forward to your pictures as I missed getting there this summer due to my hip surgery. Have fun fishing!

Take care of you! Blessings!

Bushrat John said...

Hi Cotton, thanks. Great to hear from you. Hope your hip heals fast. Stay tuned.

Washkeeton said...

We have over half of it sheathed and will finish framing on the last wall tomorrow, a few cripple studs and sheathe the top 4 feet, brace the studs, get the trusses delivered, put on the roofing, roll on the tar paper and roll roofing put in the windows and doors. Lock it up and go pack up the house...bring the wood stove back, first trip, tired of freezing in this tent...lol. Hoping to have it ready for trusses Wednesday...

Why does your place feel big and this one feels like a box... Lol

Wash

Mary said...

I agree,about taking time for yourself. The projects will always be there. Make sure to remind us of the caretaking blog location. I'll forward it to Billy T.as well if you write about Nondalton.

Bushrat John said...

Great, you are making good progress. Living in a tent without heat this time of year can suck. Don't know if you are talking about the tent or cabin.

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Mary, people need time to themselves now and then. I'll remember about Nondalton.

Washkeeton said...

An old military tent. Brrrr it does suck, let me tell you.

Wash

Anonymous said...

Hiya John been awhile sinse I posted ,just checking on you.Looks like you've made some good changes.Good to hear you've finally decided to enjoy retirement. We can get so overwhelmed with life,we forget we are retired and there is no deadline.Will be looking forward for your new post to come...take care my friend...Bert from Bama

Bushrat John said...

Hi Bama, thanks. It was time to make some good changes and am looking forward to taking tome for myself and enjoyment.

Washkeeton said...

Missing your posts. You are too quiet. We are almost ready to do the roof. Nights are getting chilly.. Ok down right cold with out a source of heat. LOL

Wash

pom said...

Hi, I will be there sometime. Thank you for your shared