THE BUSH LIFE

THE BUSH LIFE
My old boat on Six Mile Lake

THE BUSH LIFE

THE BUSH LIFE
My tent cabin on the Kvechak River

The Bush Life

The Bush Life
My old buddy "KAYAK"

Saturday, May 28, 2016

I REMEMBER


Monday, December 14, 2015


IN MEMORY           

                              U.S.S. OZBOURN DD 846  


12/04/1966

IN MEMORY OF

Raymond COOK

ED O'BRIAN



On this date, my 2 best friends and shipmates were killed in action off the coast of North Vietnam while handling shells for the after gun mount in support of a Special Forces compound being overrun by North Vietnamese regulars and Viet Cong forces.

While providing gunfire support, we came under fire of 81mm mortar shells, close to 200 rounds bracketed our ship when one went through the deck into the after handling room where Robert and Ed was stationed. We also were hit in the Electronics room wounding 3 and took 2 rounds in our Anti submarine rocket launcher starting a fire. We also took some rounds in the hull at and close to the waterline. Despite all this, we remained online and along with Navy fighters planes, prevented the enemy from overtaking the Special Forces camp.

"ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL


Ed and Robert will always be in my memory

ANCHORS AWAY MY FRIEND

18 comments:

CottonLady said...

Am so sorry for the lose of your friends, John. You all put up a heroic fight! Thank you so much for your service to our country! God bless and keep you.

John said...

Thank you Cotton,

Harry Flashman said...

Looks like you have lived a rough and ready life up there.

Lots of guys have to deal with memories like that. You've got company, for what it's worth.

John said...

Hi Harry, sometimes rough, always ready. There are plenty of guys and gals dealing with memories and I appreciate the company.

Art said...

In appreciation of their sacrifice.

John said...

Thank you, Art

Anonymous said...

Hiya John... Special honor to all who paid the ultimate price for our freedom and prayers to all their families and friends left behind.Looks like you've been busy , and getting some work done.Been down with health issues and up and going now.See your plans of going to remote cabin are getting close now.I agree with Mary don't move and lose us make sure we can keep up with you.Nothing going on here except 90 degree temps and humid weather.But siting on porch drinking coffee early mornings are enjoyable...take care my friend ..Bert from Bama

John said...

Hi Bert, thanks for your kind words. Sorry to hear about your health, hope it's not to much occuring. I will remember to let you all know what's going on. I'm with you, morning coffee is very important here. Take care of yourself.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

God rest their souls...and bless them for their sacrifice.

John said...

Thank you

Carol said...

Thank you John for sharing some of your past as hard as it must be and remembering your friends. God bless those men and women and the ones serving today. God bless you John!
Carol

John said...

Thank you Carol, it means a lot.

Anonymous said...

His name is Raymond cork Jr, not Robert cook. They both died 12/04/66 I believe. I looked them up to see what happened.

Mark.

John said...

You are correct, my phone sometimes makes corrections and I failed to proof read. Goes to show we are only human.

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...

I'm curious Mark, you said you looked it up to see what happened. I had already explained what happened that day. Did you think I was making it up?

Art said...

Wikipedia mentions two dates with direct hits but omits the details in your blog post. I'd suggest updating the Wikipedia site as a tribute.

John said...

Thanks Art