Sunday, June 14, 2015

Big Fire

There is a big fire in progress at this moment. It started 3 miles South of my town cabin, so far no threat to my place. We have prevailing winds out of the North pushing the fire South. It is said to be 200 acres so far. I have been watching planes that are flying over my cabin dropping water on the fire. These planes came down from fairbanks, these planes are very kool. They are low wing aircraft on floats. The fly over the Susitna river scooping up water and then dumping it on the fire. Here are a few pics I got.

Looking at the smoke from my cabin
The planes









I hope they get this fire controlled and put out soon, temperatures are 80-90 degrees and making it dry,  we call it a recipe for  fire
.

Update: As of  8:10 pm, the fire has grown to 1000 acres. Some homes were lost and more expected to be lost. Although the winds are keeping the fire away from my area, they are fanning the fire. So far, no fatalities reported.

New update: As of 9:50 pm the fire has grown to 1800 acres and spreading.

Monday morning update: As of 5:30 am. The fire has grown to over 8500 acres, 1700 structures evacuated, 1 fireman treated for heat exhaustion. No fatalities. 5 hotshot crews from the lower 48 have arrived to help, 5 military helicopters hauling large water buckets are involved

Some photos of the fire



The last report is 217 structures burned and some animals, which includes sled dogs. It's reported there are several Hot Shot crews already working the fire. Earlier, we watched Smoke jumpers jumping over the fire. 5 more crews are on their way here. Canada is also sending help. Traffic controllers have set up at the entrance to where my cabin is, but no word yet of evacuation. The winds presently are 5 mph. It is reported that the winds will pick up to 25 mph. this afternoon. I have some clothes, important papers and medication packed and ready to go. My fingers are crossed. Stay tuned.

I took this picture about 7:40 pm

These are pictures of the big tankers

.

Add caption

I just have to say, this heat is way to much for me to handle. I am not getting very much done. It is what it is.


UPDATE 6/16/2015: I just received word my friend Dee Dee Jonroe who lives 3 miles down the road lost her home, cat and 2 dogs. Dee Dee is a breast cancer survivor and has run the World famous Iditarod Sled Dog race 33 times. She did manage to save 52 dogs with the help of Martin Buser, he is another well known Iditarod musher. The fire has become stagnant which is good in a way but, can also mean it could go in any direction depending on the wind. I have a few things packed and ready to go. Thanks to those of you for your words of support and concerns.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, although we are on the South side of the fire, if the wind changes and you need a place to run to, you know where we live.

Old John

Bushrat John said...

Thanks John, appreciate the offer. Right now my understanding is the Parks Highway is closed at mile 77. I heard the race track by Little Willow Creek burned, not sure if true or not.

grammie g said...

Hi John... Wow that is scary, and thank God no lives lost from it so far.
That is a lot of area that has burned, I sure hope your area remains safe. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night that's for sure.
Those are some get shot's just the same. Some beautiful skies, to bad there is danger involved!
Keep us informed and stay safe!!!!!

Grace

Carol said...

Wow John! I can't believe how big this fire has gotten in such a short time. Such a loss. I hope you are ok John and please keep us informed that you are alright. I am glad no lives lost so far. Hopefully this will be out soon.
Take care John
Carol

Bushrat John said...

Thanks grammie, I should be ok unless the wind reverses but, it doesn't look like it.

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Carol, this fire won't be out any time soon. The weather forecast is calling for temps in the high 80's and windy for this week. It is spreading very fast.

518nymammaof2 said...

Oh my gosh, can't believe how fast that fire is spreading! Stay safe! It breaks my heart how so much wildlife will be lost and displaced.

Anonymous said...

Stay safe John....please keep us posted...I haven't forgotten you I've just been very ill.... my prayers are for this fire to get under control and put out quickly....Take care my friend Bert from Bama

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Kimberly, so far 2 sled dogs belonging to DeeDee Jonroe didn't make it. It's very sad.

Bushrat John said...

Thank Bert, wishing you a quick recovery

Carol said...

Oh John I wish I could help you but all I can do is send a prayer that the fire gets under control soon. I am so sorry to hear about the sled dogs. Such a terrible loss. I am checking in often to see your updates. You and everyone else this fire is effecting have been on my mind each day. Please take care.

Hugs,
Carol

Bushrat John said...

Thank you Carol, I really appreciate your concern. I worry each day.

Anonymous said...

I hope the fires are subsiding and rain is in the forecast , I wish I could send the heavy rain we have been having to your area.
I read a few articles on the fire and it's unbelievable how it spread so fast and the large area it encompassed.
I feel bad for the people who lost their homes and for all the animals and other wildlife that have died or been displaced.
I pray that you will be able to stay at your cabin.
Please take care and will check back for updates. KC

Mike Silvius said...

Hey John, I heard about it on NPR this morning. I know the frightening feeling as we lived though a similar one when we lived in Caracas. Out lawn burned but fortunately none of the houses burned as they were masonry. Keep your chainsaw handy in case you need to start taking down trees near your house. It might be the only way to save it if the fire turns your way. Might be worth doing that just to have a bigger fire break around your property. Hope you make out OK.

Washkeeton said...

Heard they evacuated to mile 86. I know the fire isn't that far yet. Just checking on you. They have a place set up in Telkeetna for all north of the fire. Im sure you know this but just passing info.

For those that don't know the area that is burning is one of the highest concentration of mushers in the state. The folks that live out that way not only have dogs but they have farms as well. They estimated over 5000 dogs from dog sled teams were moved the first day of the fire along with horses, cows, chickens, pigs, etc. There is a growing fire down in the Kenai/Soldotna area as well. The Seavies live in that direction with their dog lot. Dallas has won the iditarod as well as been on the show Ultimate Survival.

Prayers to all that are in the fire area for safety and good health.

Wash

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Wash, there is no evacuation past mile 78. If that happens I will be the first to know. All the sled dogs up to mile 78 have been moved. All the mushers at mile 80 are ready to move their dogs on a moments notice.

Bushrat John said...

Thanks KC, appreciate your concern.

Bushrat John said...

Thanks Mike, the problem here I am surrounded by trees and couldn't possibly cut enough down. Oh well

Washkeeton said...

Ya, there has been an out pour for the folks with the dogs to move them down here offering of land and places for the dogs... the problem with the ones past mile 78 is a lot of the folks that can help and or take the dogs are my way... if it gets worse they will close the highway again and not sure where they will all go north. There are a lot of farms still that will need to move critters plus the 400 plus dogs that Buser took in if the fire keeps traveling south. I have a few friends that I have offered space to plus camper space in case of need. Hoping it doesnt get this far south.

Wash