Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kind of a boring day

Today started out kind of yucky and pretty much stayed that way. We even got a little bit of snow mixed with rain. My day started about 6:15 a.m. Sunrise was about 7:15 a.m.

This is my waterhole after the melt. The brown color are pine needles.

Because ice built up in the middle, I could only dip the container and fill it half way, had to use the pitcher to fill the rest.
Here you can see the ice is starting to honeycomb and pressure cracks are starting to form.

Every once in awhile, I have to mug for the camera. As you can see, I traded my snow boots for hip waders. Had to wear ice grippers also, very slippery.
As you can see, there is color on the ice which means the ice is getting thinner.
The temperatures have been pretty cool today and it was a bit windy which kept the temps. 38-44.

 I am really looking forward to breakup, it is a fun time of the year watching the big blocks of ice moving along the beach.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautfil John--your blessed to live where you do. Who takes all your pictures where you live alone, tri-pod? We look forward to your posts.

Susan Stevenson said...

I like it when you get into the photos. :)

Those pine seeds are horrible this year. We had several very windy days - and the ice storm we had back in November brought them down too. They are really thick on the snow and ice now that we've melted down to the bottom layers.

I bet that water is so refreshing!

Bushrat John said...

Hi Anonymous. you got it, a tri-pod. I am one of the luckiest people in the world living here and the way I do. I wouldn't have it any other way, thanks for checking in.

Bushrat John said...

Hi Susan, that is the one thing about living this way. The water is so clean and yes, refreshing. It makes my coffee taste better also. I wonder sometimes as I don't feel very photogenic but, maybe that makes it feel real.